Monday, November 1, 2010

My Acne Progress

I now only have about two weeks left of my Accutane treatment, and then I am done! I am so pleased with the results.

I had to move to another state and switch providers, insurance companies, and pharmacies during treatment, and that was definitely a pain in the neck, but I eventually got it worked out. One thing I learned is that not every provider does things the same way. My first provider only had me do urine pregnancy tests in their office, and they didn't have me do bloodwork each month to get my Rx, but my second provider had me do blood pregnancy tests, and they had me do fasting bloodwork each month to check on my liver and my lipids and stuff. They also did everything else different too.

I had to go without Accutane for about ten days during treatment, because my second provider said I had to have an OBGYN sign a form proving that I was using two forms of birth control, that my first provider never had me get signed, before she would give my a Rx.

I am glad that my second provider had me do bloodwork each month, even though it was a pain, because the Accuatane caused me to have high cholesterol, lipids, and triglycerides. They were all within normal range before I started the Accutane. They had me start taking fish oil supplements, and that helped out with those levels a lot, but they are still high. My provider said that my levels should go down after I am off the Accutane for a while.

Overall, I am happy with the results. Hopefully, my cholesterol, lipids, and triglycerides will go back down, but if anything, it actually helped motivate me to try to eat healthier, so that is a good thing. My skin is now all cleared up, and although I have acne scars, they should fade over time. If they are still more noticeable than I would like, after I have been off the Accutane for six months, I may look into some kind of acne scar reduction treatment.

Here are the pictures I took over the course of my treatment. I actually didn't start the Accutane until June 2nd, but I was on some other acne meds before I started the Accutane, to try to get rid of the worst of it, so that I wouldn't have as bad scarring. Insurances usually pay for Accutane better if you have tried other acne meds first. And believe me, I think I have tried just about everything out there!!! :)

(I also learned the huge difference that insurance companies make. 60 pills of the generic for Accutane costs more than $600 without insurance. With my first insurance, I only had to pay about $5 a month for my Rx. Then when I had to move and change insurance companies, I had to pay about $130 a month!)





..............................................................................06/02/2010











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look like a new woman. Beautiful!